I'm a big fan of throw-together-what's-in-the-cupboard and this quick stew is perfect for this time of the year.
Chorizo and Chickpea Stew
(this serves about 3-4 people)
600 g Chorizo, sliced into halves
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
good handful of dried herbs (oregano etc) or fresh thyme, whatever you have to hand
1 can of chopped tomatoes
Vegetable stock powder
Half a head of Savoy cabbage, sliced
2 cans of chickpeas, drained
Salt and pepper
- Heat a heavy pan and fry the chorizos for about 10 minutes. Stir regularly as you don't want to burn them. You don't need to add any oil as the chorizo will give off its lovely paprika-coloured oil
- Remove chorizo, gently fry onion and garlic
- Add dried herbs
- Return chorizo to the pot and fry for 5 minutes
- Add chopped tomatoes. Fill the empty can twice with boiling water from the kettle and add to the pot.
- Sprinkle the vegetable stock powder over it, let it boil for about 7-8 minutes
- Add the savoy cabbage, let boil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, stir well and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
This is best preapred in advance and eaten later in theday or even better the next day. Serve with crusty bread and a nice glass of Rioja.